Willow Park sits can be traced through records and books back to the creation of Parker County in 1856. Isaac Parker Tarrant and Jefferson Weatherford County Dallas County enacted laws to form the 576,000 acres in a county because a growing number of settlers had begun to cultivate the fertile soil of Clear Fork of the Trinity river branch and rolling plains ranch. The Butterfield Stageline ran through the area, and local farmers could easily arrear their actions to the northeast to the nearby Chisholm Trail. Weatherford was the terminal for several lines of stage coach during the 1870s and one was supported by the notorious Sam Bass band on the way to Ft. Worth a place near Maria Creek.
The area was ripe for settlement in the 1850s and 1860s despite the western part of the province was still suffering occasional or Kiowa Comanche raid. The area west of Weatherford was not proclaimed “free of hostile Indians” by the governor until 1877. Evidence of such brutality lies in our own Springs Cemetery Willow it is in the service road northbound at exit 415 of I -twenty. The oldest gravestone in the cemetery tells the fatal outcome of Martha Sherman, wife of Ezra Sherman, killed by the Comanche Indians in 1860 near the county line of Palo Pinto and Parker, and “buried here because there was a nearby church. ”
The church was referred to Elm Grove (also called Ellum, Alum Grove) and was initiated by Simeon Wright, Rev. BA Kemp, and the Rev. JW chalk in May, 1854. He was later named Willow Springs after own springs that were located on a property east of the cemetery. Unfortunately, the springs were very disturbed by the construction of Interstate 20. Willow Springs School is located south of the cemetery a few miles away.
As the area grew, new ways were developed to facilitate settlers and by the turn of the century the county was becoming substantially populated. Memories of settlers conspired in our area when we see their names on headstones in the cemetery of Willow Springs or legal descriptions of property records. Names like Yeary, Mirike, Froman, Teater, Blackwell, Tinsley, Fox, Robertson, Carr, McCarver, Headley, and Williams, among others, occupy places of honor in our history.
In 1925 the area that is now Willow Park SEO services was sparsely populated ranches and farms and a pastoral scene for travelers going east or west on the newly completed road Bankhead. The remains of this road are, in general, the southern limit of most of the present town of Willow Park. With improved, increasing need for, and the popularity of the automobile, truck, bus and travel, Bankhead Highway was finally out of fashion and was replaced by the new dual carriageway US 80, which was built a little further north. It was completed in 1940 and soon after, a beautiful park road – with native willow trees and pond overlooked – built for weary travelers and Sunday hikers. It was not until 1968 that attacked Interstate 20 passing through the town established in Willow Park, Texas, and erased the picturesque park on the road. The city, however, retains its memory through the name, Willow Park, and the pond is still visible north of the interstate.
The city was incorporated in 1963 by request of 32 voters residents. Many new people had moved to the area, first known as the Chico Ranch Estates, shortly after the completion of the reservoir in 1956-1957 Weatherford. The $ 2,000,000 had added more charm of a beautiful area, tantalizingly close to both the largest city of Fort. Worth and the county seat with its historic square, Weatherford. For many employees Convair (General Dynamics, Lockheed-Martin) and military officers from the base of the adjoining air force, the area was perfect for raising children in a rural environment. Both the Aledo Independent School District and Weatherford Independent School District were (and still are) attractive academically as well, so that a good education was easily accessible.
El Chico Ranch Estates, north and south of US Highway 80, it was the first area to be developed before the incorporation of the city. Former ranch owners (OP Leonard, Sr., sons Bob and Paul, Jr., and sons-in-law and Leland James Anthony Hodges, DBA – Republic Land Company) sold the property to the developers and Vera Haynes Curby Mirike, which developed the area keeping an eye toward commercial separation of residential areas. In turn, a new subdivision – Hillcrest– was developed in 1965, near the airport privately owned Parker County. At the time of the commission town was granted in October 1963, at least 200-300 residents had established roots and formed this fledgling community. By choice, the City of Willow Park had reached its goal of “cityhood” with 45 total votes cast (29 for, 12 against and 4 void). The first mayor was J. D. St. Clair and the two commissioners were elected W. E. “Tony” Being and T. W. Grubbs. Monthly meetings are held at the “Casa Club” at 201 Ranch House Rd. (The club has its own history since its erection in the mid-1930s, but is now a private residence.) City leaders they gathered in this location until the land was given by the family of Leonard in February 1971 for combined City Hall and fire Department building that still stands on the corner of Stagecoach road and Rancho driveway. The first meeting in the new “Municipal Building” was held on November 15, 1971.
Although the mayor of St. Clair served the city for six months or so, he soon resigned for health reasons and was followed by Mayor Wayne G. Stevens who served for the next five years. During his tenure, Mayor Stevens and curators Being and J. C. Gilliland led the city through the delicate steps needed to become a well-organized and carefully planned community.
In 1970, the Federal Census reported 230 people living in the city. The Republic Land Company soon began developing the Weatherford area overlooking lake known as Laguna Vista and other real estate agents fell on fertile soil – fertile for residential sales and not for agricultural use. Mayor Ralph Darling, was appointed to complete the term G. W. Stevens after he resigned due to time constraints with their work. By April 1970 Z.C. Baker had been elected to serve on the board with Tony Ser, who by then had served since the incorporation of the City.